Thanks to the advancement of technology and the ubiquity of the Internet over 30 years ago, it is fair to say that computers are here to stay and with them PC applications for programming. Today, if we start to compare the technological devices of the past with the technological devices of today, we realize how much we have advanced, how much we can achieve; and one of the ways of progress is programming.
In this article you will learn the specifications your computer needs if you are a programmer and we will recommend some of the best PC applications for programming.
Basic Functions of Computers Used with PC Applications for Programming
In general, the specifications of a computer suitable for web development and programming vary depending on the field of technology. A computer used with PC applications for programming is no different from a normal computer, except for additional features such as RAM, processor, graphics card memory and storage, and other factors.
Below we list the most important features to consider in order to know which computers are the best for programming.
Portability, Battery, Screen and Keyboard
Programmers choose laptops because they can take them with them and continue working anywhere. The smaller screen (13-inch) is more portable and lighter than the 17-inch, which may be better suited for people who work from home most of the time.
As for the battery, it is recommended that it last at least 6 hours to have enough autonomy to work outdoors.
Unless you’re looking for a convertible laptop, you don’t need to touch the screen. Sometimes brands will try to sell you an expensive 4K screen, but usually a 1080p screen should be enough.
Another aspect is the keyboard. You need to make sure it’s comfortable and “responsive” enough to suit your taste as a programmer. People who work at night will find the backlit keyboard very useful.
Operating System (OS)
Basically, the operating system doesn’t matter unless you are using PC Applications for programming for a specific operating system. For example, if you’re building an app for macOS or Linux, use macOS or Linux, respectively.
If we take into account that the entire Internet runs on some variant of Unix, be it Linux or BSD, and that all smartphones also run on the same variant of Unix (iOS or Android), every programmer should know how to work with this system.
Be functional and use it for everyday use. The most common options are Linux and macOS. Microsoft Windows is a common choice and can be used for many tasks such as .NET development, web development, and Android development.
MacOS is generally more expensive, but Apple developers have to use it. If you’re doing web, Android, or big data development, Linux is a good choice.
Processor, Memory and Disk Space
The programming computer’s processor is very important because it must be powerful enough to do all the work. Therefore, it is important to consider which processor is best for programming.
Intel i7 processor is one of the best processors for programming. Most programmers can easily develop with an equivalent Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor. As we have seen, the most popular for programming are Ryzel or Intel.
Another important factor is memory. Running many PC applications for programming and programs at the same time can slow down your laptop. But with good RAM it should work without problems.
Most programmers can use around 8 GB of RAM, especially if you’re using a Mac with an M2 processor (these systems use even less memory).
With this RAM, you can run code editors, browsers, local servers, and more. The best programming computers have RAM similar to the ones just mentioned.
Gone are the days when you could write complex software on 1 Mb (mega, not gig) of disk space. Development tools take up a lot of space these days (many gigs), so you need at least a 500Gb hard drive.
The Best Computers for Smooth Programming
If you are a programmer or want to be, you need the best tools. Choosing a good computer for programming is important for the job.
- MSI Bravo 15 B5DD-005XES AMD Ryzen 7 5800H/16GB/512GB SSD/RX5500M/15.6″
This MSI with AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor is one of the best computers for programming since it is the most powerful on this list. It is worth the money as this laptop offers the best performance compared to the competition.
- Apple MacBook Pro Apple M1 16GB/256GB SSD/13.3″
The most recommended for programming tasks. The MacBook Pro with the Apple M1 chip directly competes with the most advanced processors in terms of performance. Significant advances in speed and data processing are found in this model.
- ASUS ZenBook Pro UX535LH-BN033 Intel Core i7-10750H/16GB/1TB 512GB SSD/GTX1650/15.6″
This is another one of the most powerful programming laptops. It features a 10th generation Intel Core i7-10750H processor, which is one of the best compared to other processors like the Ryzen 7 4800H and Apple M1. It provides enough power for all your creative, programming and editing tasks.
- Acer Aspire 5 Technik-TIPP 15.6″ FHD IPS, Intel i5-1135G7/16GB/1000GB SSD
Acer Aspire 5 is the best option for those looking for cheap laptops and programming students. It has a 10th generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor with turbo boost up to 3.6 GHz.
- ASUS VivoBook S15 S533EA BN114 Intel Core I7 1165G7 16GB 512GB SSD 156
In this case we have the 11th Gen I7 1165G7, which can easily handle various software and PC Applications for programming. We are still dealing with a model that is worth the money. Integrated Iris Xe graphics and 16 GB of RAM are more than enough for daily tasks.
PC Applications for Programming with Windows
We can run these programs in this OS:
- Visual Studio Code: Here you can use the language of your choice and customize it to your liking. It has the Better Haml extension which, in addition to Beautify, allows you to get better syntax and autofill for more attractive and readable code.
- AZURE: Now if you want to go deeper into the area of programming, we recommend this software which is an online code cloud application where you can program and even simplify the language.
- NET: This is one of the PC applications for programming that allows you to create programs, applications, and services on the Internet, giving programmers a wide range of languages and the convenience of working with interfaces, tools and libraries.
PC Applications for Programming MAC
For obvious reasons, we also mention the programs used by Apple developers:
- FlexiHub: If your job is to create software solutions, you can use this application, whose main function is to debug the Mac applications that come your way. You can connect via Ethernet, LAN or Wifi to use it.
- iTerm2: We are able to do programming work efficiently with full screen functionality and window transparency functionality.
PC Applications for Programming Linux
It should be noted that operating systems capable of this type of work are excellent:
- Bluefish: It is very easy to use and best of all, it is completely free. HTML text editing is also the best you will ever see, it allows you to work in different languages and works at a very high syntax level; Furthermore, it works in other modes such as Python, PHP, CSS or ColdFusion.
- Kdevelop: It is a Windows and Linux IDE program for the creation of programs, whose main prerequisites are the presence of source code and a good level of syntax. Proper development can be done in languages like C, C++, PHP, Python, etc.
You can find more information about this and other related topics on our website MecanicaDiesel.